Documents you must provide

Contents on this page

— All applicants

— Blind or partially sighted

— Hearing impaired

— Without speech

— Inability to walk

— Inability to use of both arms

— Learning disability

— Can't drive a motor vehicle

Pages in this section

Disabled person's bus pass

Documents you must provide

Apply for a bus pass

Lost or stolen bus pass

Can't drive a motor vehicle

You can apply for a bus pass if your disability is likely to be a source of danger to the public when you drive. This means you would have your application for driving licence refused. The application would be under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988. This law pertains to physical fitness that is not a result of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol. It applies to:
  • epilepsy (unless it is of a type which does not pose a danger – see below)
  • severe mental disorder
  • liability to sudden attacks of giddiness or fainting (whether as a result of cardiac disorder or otherwise)
  • inability to read a registration plate in good light at 20.5 metres (with lenses if worn)
  • other disabilities which are likely to cause driving of vehicles by them to be a source of danger to the public

The evidence you provide can be any one of the following:

  • letter from Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • medical evidence signed by a medical professional

Any letter provided as evidence should describe your disability, so we can check whether the criteria apply to you

← Previous

Learning disability