Joining the LGSS Digital team as a scrum master took a lot of explanation… NO… I was not running off to join the local Northampton Saints Rugby team and YES it is an actual career choice (honest Dad).
It’s been a whirlwind first couple of months with so much to learn but I’m loving every second of it.
In this post, I’ll be taking you through what a scrum master does with some tips that I’ve picked up along the way…
So what do I actually do?
Good question… according to innolution.com a scrum master is defined as:
“The coach, facilitator, impediment remover, and servant leader of the Scrum team…”
I think this is where the jack of all trades bit comes in. My list of tasks is ever growing and developing as I find my feet in this role, but a snapshot includes…
- Removing ‘blockers’ for the team
- Keeping the time / scope / budget in mind at all times
- Ensuring what gets built meets the project’s ultimate goal
- Motivating, coaching and leading the team to be a high performing one that is continuously improving
- Making sure the team embodies agile values
- Risk management throughout the project’s build
At LGSS Digital, I’m involved all the way through the project, but once it moves to the delivery stage – where the product is built – this is where you can really add the most value …